Public swimming pools, spas and special use pools are regulated under the authority of Chapter 3749 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and the rules specified in Chapter 3701-31 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC). A public swimming pool is defined as any indoor or outdoor structure, chamber or tank containing a body of water for swimming, diving or bathing, but does not include a private residential swimming pool. The rules establish minimum standards, applicable throughout Ohio, for the design, installation, operation and maintenance of these facilities in order to protect the bathing public from injury, minimize the potential for disease transmission and provide a safe and healthy aquatic recreational environment. The Belmont County Health Department inspects pools and spas located in city and private parks, hotels/motels and country clubs.
A public swimming pool collectively means a:
- Public Swimming Pool
- Public Spa
- Special Use Pool
- Wading Pool
- Spray Ground
Public swimming pool vs. private residential pool?
A public swimming pool is defined as any indoor or outdoor structure, chamber, or tank containing a body of water that is intended to be used collectively for swimming, diving, or bathing.
Services provided by the ODH Public Swimming Pool program:
- Technical assistance and training on the construction, operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and evaluation of public swimming pools
- Review and approval of engineered plans that have been designed to meet all of the requirements found within 3701-31 of the OAC
- Inspections during the construction process to ensure that the pool is installed per the rules and approved plans
- Guidance to local health district staff for the implementation of the public swimming pool/spa/special use pool regulatory program
- Periodic surveys of local health district licensing programs to assess their compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements
- Resource for the general public relative to aquatic recreation issues, protection from disease transmission, personal safety, and complaint investigations
- Maintains approved lists of automatic chemical controllers, interior surface colors, and lifeguard, first-aid, & CPR training
- Reviews all logos prior to approval and installation or application on the bottom of a public swimming pool